- Why choose Exeter
- Credit for prior learning
- Financial support
- Masters programmes
- Professional Doctorates (EdD)
- PhD in Education
- TESOL options
- The National Award for SEN Coordination
- DEdPsych Professional Training in Educational Psychology
- Facilities and support
- Methods of Teaching, Learning & Assessment
- Programme specifications
- SEND resources
- Back to Education home
This part-time programme entails a number of intensive weekend periods of study (up to seven per year) conducted at our Dubai Centre. The modules are taught in Dubai by lecturers from the Graduate School of Education. Excellent classroom facilities and library facilities are available as well as support from two local tutors who provide academic support in the form of group and individual tutorials. The remainder of the course will involve distance learning and individual study.
Doctoral students attend five modules during the first two years, after this they conduct their research project for the thesis. Blended learning and online facilities are available to help you finish your degree in good time.
Thank you for offering such a quality programme in Dubai and for ensuring the continuity of its quality through participant feedback.
EdD TESOL student, Dubai
The EdD TESOL programme is divided into two phases:
Phase 1 (pre-thesis)
Part 1 of the programme consists of six modules, delivered through a combination of lectures, personal study, and reflective discussion amongst peers. It is equivalent to 1 year of full-time study or 2 years of part-time study.
All students will complete the following shared core modules:
- Educational Research: Theory and Practice - Part 1 (EEDD041)
- Educational Research: Theory and Practice - Part 2 (EEDD042)
- Perspectives on Professionalism (EEDD043)
- Research Networking (EEDD040)
In addition to the shared core modules, you will also take the following 'special field' modules:
- Critical Issues in Teaching English (EEDD044)
- TESOL Classrooms and Pedagogy: Theory and Practice (EEDD045)
In this phase you are guided through various readings and assessed assignments which allow for professional networking and collaborative learning, and which give you the opportunity to:
- explore the theoretical, historical and policy contexts in which your professional work is set, as well as the ways in which these contexts impact upon current practices in your professional field
- explore research methodologies that may inform your research in phase 2
- reflect critically upon your own professional practice, before embarking on the research phase
During the pre-thesis phase, you are required to attend intensive teaching weekends held at Dubai Knowledge Village, as laid out in the 'course maps' below.
During the research phase attendance becomes optional but is still strongly advised (whether in Dubai or in Exeter) as they allow for professional networking and collaborative learning through pre-arranged workshops and lectures that will assist you with your dissertation work.
Stage 2 (thesis)
This is the research phase of the degree. In this phase you will undertake properly informed and ethical research within educational settings (which may include your own workplace) and produce a doctoral dissertation.
- Thesis for the Doctor of Education (EEDD039)
Further details about the precise structure and content of the EdD TESOL programme can be found in the course maps:-