- Why choose Exeter
- Credit for prior learning
- Financial support
- Masters programmes
- Professional Doctorates (EdD)
- PhD in Education
- TESOL options
- The National Award for SEN Coordination
- DEdPsych Professional Training in Educational Psychology
- Facilities and support
- Methods of Teaching, Learning & Assessment
- Programme specifications
- SEND resources
- Back to Education home
International and National conference presentations
EdD Dubai TESOL students have been presenting their research at national and international conferences and contributing to educational debates around issues of TESOL and language education. Starting from Dubai, our doctoral students have formed an international research community with members in a large number of countries in the Gulf region and beyond. Many of the conference presentations have led to academic publications in proceedings and journals. All students are encouraged to be research active. Dubai-based students have also disseminated their research at University of Exeter conferences and doctoral forums.
In the last few years students have presented in the following countries
India, Japan, Italy, Qatar, Oman, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom.
List of presenters and presentation
Patent, D. (2016, March). Language and identity in the UAE context. Paper presented at the 22nd TESOL Arabia Conference, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
McCallum, L. Wearing Many Hats When Teaching Writing
Conference: ELT International & MENAWCA Conference: Sultan Qaboos University, Oman.
Date: April 21-22nd 2016
McCallum, L. : Using Corpus Tools to Address Vocabulary Difficulties: How Data Driven Learning can Enhance your Classroom.
Conference: King Saud University COLT Symposium
Date: 23rd March 2016
McCallum, L. Authorial presence: Evidence from Saudi university students
Conference: TESOL Arabia
Date: 10-12th March 2016
Al-Hilali, Z. (2015, March). Medium of instruction in the UAE. Paper presented at TESOL Arabia International Conference, Dubai, UAE.
(2014, June). Using critical pedagogies with young EFL learners in a Hong Kong primary school. Paper presented at the 5th Hong Kong Association for Applied Linguistics conference, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
'Research Paradigms: Ways of compatibility among their methodologies and methods; is it a myth?', Making Sense through Diverse Methodologies in the Social Sciences, Bristol Universty: Paper presented at Bristol Graduate School of Education, available at: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/education/research/doctoralconference/doctoral-conference-handbook.pdf
- Autonomous Learning in the University English Course. 2009/09/06
2009 JACET 48th Convention in Hokkaido, Japan
- English-only policy for all? Case of lower-level college students. 2010/07/03
The 24th JACET Kyushu-Okinawa Chapter Conference, Japan
- Developing Autonomous Learners through Pre-University English Education. 2010/09/08
2010 JACET 49th Convention in Miyagi, Japan
- Creativity and Collaboration in Curriculum Design. 2010/11/20
JALT2010 36th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning & Educational Materials Expo, Japan
- Developing Autonomous Learners through Pre-University English Education. 2010/12/12
The 39th Annual Conference of KASELE, Japan
- From Language Teachers to Language Advisors. 2011/07/29
The 9th Asia TEFL International Conference, Seoul, South Korea
- Language Teachers’ Transition into Language Advisors. 2011/09/01
The JACET 50th Commemorative International Convention, Japan
- Planning short-term study abroad programs. 2011/11/20
JALT 2011 37th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning & Educational Materials Expo, Japan
- A Critical Analysis of an On-going Curriculum Reform Project. 2011/12/10
The 40th Annual Conference of KASELE, Japan
- Examining weekly extensive reading. 2012/10/13
JALT2012 38th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning & Educational Materials Expo, Japan
- Learner Attitudes towards Graded Readers in the Course Curriculum. 2012/10/21
KOTESOL International Conference 2012, South Korea
- Globalization of Asia and APU's role - From the viewpoint of language education in Oita Prefecture. 2012/11/24
The Kyushu Association of Education. The 64th Convention, Japan
- What Makes a Difference in Short-term Study Abroad? - A Pilot Study. 2012/12/08
The 41st Annual Conference of KASELE, Japan
The 13th Annual Current Trends in English Language Testing Conference (CTELT). November 18-20, 2009. Dubai, The United Arab Emirates. Senior Teachers in the Kingdom of Bahrain: An Observation of Three Senior Teachers and their Team Members
Presentation Title: Perceptions of TESOL Teachers & Students of Educational Technology Tools
Conference & Venue: 15th Annual Current Trends in English Language Testing (CTELT), Higher Colleges of Technology, Dubai Men's College, November 24-25, 2011.
Conference & Venue: From KG to College to Career, TESOL Arabia, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Dubai, 14-16 March 2013.
TPACK Framework for Technology Integration, Embracing Mobile Learning Conference, 20 Nov. - 21 Nov., 2013, United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates.
Title of presentation: Curriculum Evaluation and the Revision of a Conversation Course at Taibah University. 12th - 13th April 2011.
Name of the conference: Saudi Preparatory Year English Programme: The Future and Beyond. Madinah, Saudi Arabia
Reem Abu Shawish
The title of presentation: The Effects of the Collegial Management Model on Teachers’ Job Satisfaction at Qatar’s Independent Schools. The 14th Annual Current Trends in English Language Testing Conference (CTELT). Dubai Men’s College, November 4-5, 2010.
April 2009. 9th Oman International ELT Conference, SQU, Oman. Paper: “Trainee Teacher Perceptions and Course Evaluations”
March 2007. The 13th International TESOL Arabia Conference, Dubai, UAE. Paper: "Culture, Coeducation and the Speaking Class".
- The Annual Current Trends in English Testing Conference (CTELT) on November 5th, 2010. The title: Institutional factors and professional leadership in TESOL at a Gulf tertiary institution.
- March 15th, 2013 at TESOL Arabia. The title: Emirati learner characteristics: Implications for course design. Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Presentation title: Teacher Leadership and Student Motivation Theme: Teaching English as a Foreign Language. February 15-16, 2009. King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
- Workshop title: Teacher Leadership and Student Motivation . Training workshop for university teaching staff . March 15-17, 2009. Place: Center for Teaching and Learning Development (CTLD), King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
1.Tertiary Teacher Views on English Medium Policies, March 14-16, 2013, 19th TESOL Arabia Conference and Exhibition – From KG to College to Career, Dubai, UAE.
2. Championing Indian TESOL Teachers in the Arabian Gulf, February 22-23, 2013, Confluence IV - Annual International Conference on Teaching and Learning English as a Second Language, Nagpur, India.
3. Personalizing Language Needs: The Benefits of Individual Diagnostic Feedback in Tertiary English Medium Education, February, 9, 2013, The Teacher-led Research Conference: Tales from the Chalkface, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
4. The Benefits of Individual Diagnostic Feedback in Tertiary English Medium Education, November, 22-23, 2012, 16th Annual Conference Current Trends in English Language Testing 2012. Dubai, UAE.
5. Evaluating experienced teachers, May 17-18, 2012, 2nd Observation and Feedback Conference: Research and Practice, Dubai, UAE.
6. Speed Debating: This House Believes that Managerial Quality Control is Essential in Contemporary Education, May 10, 2012, 4th Annual Teacher Leadership Academy, Dubai, UAE.
7. Finding a Niche for ESP (Keynote speaker), April 28, 2012, The 2nd ESP SIG Conference: Supporting the Language Learner in the ESP Classroom, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
8. Help! My Teacher is an Alien!, March 8-10, 2012, 18th Annual TESOL Arabia Conference – Achieving Excellence through Life Skills Education, Dubai, UAE.
9. Text Interaction in Undergraduate Academic Writing: A Bridge Too Far? - An Analysis into Non-Native Speaker Students’ Text Interaction Skills in the Dissertation Literature Review. November 22-24, 2011, 1st International Conference on Emerging Research Paradigms in Business and Social Sciences, Dubai, UAE.
10. Personal Portfolio to IELTS Success (with A. Young), November 24-25, 2011, 15th Annual Conference Current Trends in English Language Testing 2011- Back to Basics, Dubai, UAE.
11. Continuous Feedback on In-Class Performance, May 19-20, 2011, 1st Observation and Feedback Conference – Observation and Feedback: The Way Forward, Dubai, UAE.
12. Should We Reward Student Input? (with C. Cosgrove & S. Lancaster), November 4-5, 2010, 14th Annual Conference Current Trends in English Language Testing 2010 – Social Responsibility in Language Assessment. Dubai, UAE.
13. Is IELTS Killing CLIL?, March 11-13, 2010, 16th International TESOL Arabia Conference – Transformations in TESOL, Dubai, UAE.
14. ELT Management in the Gulf: What They Never Told Me in College, May 20, 2010, 2nd Annual Teacher Leadership Academy. Dubai, UAE.
15. Student and Teachers Views on IELTS in a Gulf-Based College Context, April 6, 2010, 2nd Sharjah ELT Colloquium – Test to Teach or Teach to the Test: Unpacking an Awkward Compromise, Sharjah, UAE.
16. Room at the Content Inn?, November 18-20, 2009, 13th Annual Conference Current Trends in English Language Testing: Teacher Development in Language Assessment, Dubai, UAE.
17. Ownership issues in CLIL, March 12-14, 2009, 15th International TESOL Arabia Conference and Exhibition 2009 – English in Learning: Learning in English, Dubai, UAE.
18. Synthesising IELTS and Content, March 16, 2009, 1st Sharjah ELT Colloquium: Learning and Teaching in the ELT Classroom, Sharjah, UAE.
19. Assessment Policy and Power, November 12-14, 2008, 12th Annual Current Trends in English Language Testing Conference: Developing Assessment Literacy, Dubai, UAE.
TESOL Arabia Eastern Region Conference entitled "Unexpected outcomes: The role of ideology in ELT curricula" on November 7th, 2009.
- (2011). Learning Vocabulary in the EAP classroom. Invited Speaker: International Conference on Teaching and Learning as Tools of Progress in Higher Education. Prince Sultan University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- (2010). Assessment Practices and Beliefs: Strengthening Assessment Literacy in EFL Teachers. International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) Conference, Harrogate, United Kingdom.
- Rogier, D., Boyd, D., & Meijer, D. (2010). Working Toward Standardization in Marking Writing. IATEFL Testing Evaluation and Assessment SIG, Establishing and Maintaining Standards, 11-12 February 2010, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- (2009). Assessment Practices and Beliefs: Strengthening Assessment Literacy in EFL Teachers. Program and Learning Assessment in Higher Education, Beirut, Lebanon.
- Teacher Leadership: Does Culture Make a Difference? TESOL-Italy’s XXXV National Convention, November 19-20, 2010.
- Professional Development: Is it Worth the Trouble? Qatar TESOL, April 13-14, 2012
Teacher-driven writing curriculum evaluation, JALT 2012 38th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning & Educational Materials Expo, Japan, 2012/10/13
Making a difference through self access, JALT 2012 38th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning & Educational Materials Expo, Japan, 2012/10/13
Nurturing autonomy: Authentic English Clubs, JALT 2012 38th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning & Educational Materials Expo, Japan, 2012/10/12
Creating Curriculum in line with Critical Pedagogy Annual JALT Japanese Association of Language Teachers Conference, Japan, 2010/11
Undervaluing Silence in the Classroom, Annual JALT Japanese Association of Language Teachers Conference, Japan, 2010/11
The Power of Teaching Assistants, Annual JALT Japanese Association of Language Teachers Conference, Japan, 2010/11
Creativity and Collaboration in Curriculum Design, JALT 2010 36th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning & Educational Materials Expo, Japan, 2010/11/20
Using Mind Maps to Promote Critical Thinking, Annual JALT Japanese Association of Language Teachers Conference, Japan, 2009/11