School Direct Distance Induction Day
Monday 7 September 2020
We are looking forward to welcoming you to the course! We are sorry that we won’t be able to see you in person this year.
Below you will find the schedule for the induction, as well as resources and links which you’ll need to access on the day.
Induction and Preparatory Tasks (Complete between 1 and 14 Sept)
Challenging the Gap
You will find the full resources for these first topics on ELE, the university VLE (https://vle.exeter.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=6744). The instructions and a few key links are here so that you can make a start even before you have completed registration and been introduced to ELE.
Please use the padlet to introduce yourself to the group before the day begins (you are welcome to do this in advance of the day):
9:30 - 10:00 Welcome and Introductions
Meeting ID: 972 6544 0812
This Zoom meeting will stay open all day, and we will use the chat function for Q&A so that we can archive the questions and responses for you to refer to later.
Please feel free to drop into the Zoom meeting at any point to ask questions or check on activities throughout the day. Tutors might not always be available outside of the scheduled Q&A time below.
10:00 - 11:00 Activity 1: The Exeter Model
- Exeter Model of ITE - Training Record/InstructionsExeter Model of ITE - Training Record/Instructions
- Complete the first part of the training – this involves using the instructions to find the exeterpartner website, and then completing the Introduction to the Exeter Model of ITE: watching a 12 minute video, and downloading and looking at the 3 supporting documents.
- Complete the Demonstrations and Agendas training: watching a 14 minute video and looking at the 2 supporting documents.
You will need to continue with the rest of this training in your own time, though you’ve now done the two longest sections!
11:00 - 11:30 The Exeter Model Q&A
Use the Zoom link above to join us for a Q&A about the Exeter Model
11:30 - 12:00 Activity 2: Introduction to the Online M level Course
Log into ELE, and navigate your way around https://vle.exeter.ac.uk
12:00 - 12:15 Welfare and Wellbeing
12:15 - 13:00 Lunch
Annabel will be available on the Zoom meeting for any questions.
13:00 - 14:00 Activity 3: Introduction to Framework Tasks
Watch the ‘Introduction to Framework Tasks’ video (8 mins). https://uoevideo.exeter.ac.uk/Player/81661019
- Watch this TED Talk and upload your comments to the ELE discussion forum.
- Make contact with your discussion group using the forum to discuss how best to split up and organise your group for ‘framework tasks’.
14:00 - 15:00 Activity 4: Library Induction
- Access the library induction here: https://libguides.exeter.ac.uk/libraryinduction
- You might also want to set up a VPN to connected to the university network from home– instructions are here: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/it/howdoi/vpn/. This allows you to use google scholar to search for and download articles without having to input your university credentials into each journal website.
15:00 - 15:30 Activity 5: Getting Organised
Watch the ‘Advice from Former Trainees’ video (2 mins). https://uoevideo.exeter.ac.uk/Player/40663886
15:30 - 16:00 Plenary Q&A
- Use the Zoom link above
Please email Annabel at email@example.com before or after the day.
For guidance and support on using Zoom visit: https://universityofexeteruk.sharepoint.com/sites/TheDigitalHub/SitePages/How-to.aspx