- Why choose Exeter?
- Teaching as a career
- Routes into teaching
- Primary PGCE
- Secondary PGCE
- School Direct Programme
- School-based work placements
- Order a prospectus and watch our videos
- Teacher Training Open Days
- Fees and finance
- Entry requirements
- PGCE applications 2017-18
- How to apply
- Programme specifications
- Contact us
- SEND resources
- Back to Education home
- NQT support
Guaranteed PGCE interview criteria for University of Exeter undergraduates
If you’re an undergraduate at the University of Exeter you could be guaranteed an interview for a PGCE programme.
The criteria that guarantee an interview are outlined below in the table and additional notes. If you do not meet these criteria you are still very welcome to apply and will be considered for an interview.
Please note that all criteria are subject to change.
Refresh your Maths
Refresh Your Maths is an employability skills training session, led by Maths students, to help you brush up your Maths for numerical reasoning tests.
Find out more below.
|PGCE subject specialism||Predicted degree classification||Relevant University of Exeter undergraduate subject area|
|Primary English||2.1||English, Psychology, Sociology, Drama, Languages, Film Studies|
|Primary Humanities||2.1||History, Geography, Archaeology, Law, Sociology, Psychology, Environmental Studies, Classics|
|Primary Modern Foreign Languages||2.1||Modern Languages (French, German or Spanish)|
|Primary Mathematics||2.1||Maths, BSc Psychology, Business & Management, Physics|
|Primary Science||2.1||Biosciences, Physics, Sport & Health Sciences, Archaeology, Environmental Science, Geology, Geography, Psychology, Zoology|
|Secondary English||2.1||English, Drama|
|Secondary History||2.1||History, Classical Studies, Politics, International Relations, Ancient History, Archaeology|
|Secondary Mathematics||2.2||Maths, Computer Science, Accounting & Finance, Economics, Engineering, Physics|
|Secondary Modern Foreign Languages [French]||2.2||French + a second language capability at GCSE or (preferably) A level|
|Secondary Modern Foreign Languages [German]||2.2||German + a second language capability at GCSE or (preferably) A level|
|Secondary Modern Foreign Languages [Spanish]||2.2||Spanish + a second language capability at GCSE or (preferably) A level|
|Secondary Physical Education||2.1||Sport & Health Sciences, Psychology|
|Secondary Religious Education||2.1||Theology, Arab & Islamic studies, Philosophy, Anthropology, Sociology|
|Secondary Science [Biology/Biology with Psychology]||2.1||Biosciences, Zoology, Medical Science, Physiology, Sports Science|
|Secondary Science [Biology with Psychology]||Biosciences, Psychology, Zoology, Medical Science, Physiology, Sports Science|
|Secondary Science [Chemistry]||2.2||No relevant University of Exeter UG subject areas|
|Secondary Science [Physics]||2.2||Physics, Engineering, Mining Engineering, Physics with Astrophysics|
- For applicants to all PGCE programmes, excluding those with a Single or Combined Honours Education degree: Experience in schools or equivalent is required. This should be in the relevant age group for your course. The primary PGCE requires at least 2 weeks of recent experience.
- For all applicants to Primary programmes: Grade B or above in GCSE Maths and English is required, as well as C or above in GCSE Science.
- For all applicants to Primary programmes: Grade B or above at A level in the relevant specialist subject is required
- For applicants to all Modern Foreign Language programmes: native speakers can have a degree in any subject, but must have a good command of English.