- Why choose Exeter?
- Teaching as a career
- Routes into teaching
- Primary PGCE
- Secondary PGCE
- School Direct Programme
- School-based work placements
- Order a prospectus and watch our videos
- Teacher Training Open Days
- Fees and finance
- Entry requirements
- PGCE applications 2017-18
- How to apply
- Programme specifications
- Contact us
- SEND resources
- Back to Education home
- NQT support
Our unique approach to teaching PGCE is praised by OFSTED and cited as an example of best practice on their website.
The first term of university-based training provides an exceptional grounding in broad educational issues as well as extending subject knowledge through peer development and course options. The cohesion between learning at the university and the school-based training that follows is strong.
Ofsted Inspection Report 2010
Why choose Exeter for your Secondary PGCE
- Following our most recent Ofsted inspection (2010), the Exeter Secondary PGCE programme was deemed to be outstanding and was rated as grade 1 in all aspects of its provision.
- In 2014/15, 93 per cent of those trainees who were awarded QTS went on to gain a teaching post during the year following completion.
- In 2014/15, 96 per cent of trainees were awarded QTS.
The Exeter Secondary PGCE programme trains you to teach the 11-18 age range.
It is an 11-16 QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) course with post-16 enhancement. In effect, this means that whilst you must meet the standards for QTS within the 11-16 age range, you will also have additional experience of post-16.
All coursework is designed to provide engaging and varied opportunities for you to develop the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to achieve QTS.
Dependent upon your degree subject, you can choose to teach: