Education Theory Reading Group
Education Theory Reading Group
Education Theory Reading Group
The aim of this group is to provide a platform for discussion centred around issues in education theory. It meets about 3 times a term to discuss specific readings of interest to the group
The group is coordinated by a core group of staff based at Exeter. If you are interested in joining the network please contact either of the co-convenors, Professor Vivienne Baumfield or Professor Brahm Norwich.
- Professor Vivienne Baumfield
- Dr Jonathan Doney
- Professor Justin Dillon
- Professor Paul Ernest
- Dr George Koutsouris
- Professor Brahm Norwich
There have been 6 meetings this academic year from Oct 2018 to March 2019
Summer term meetings are on 8 May, 4 June and 9 July 1-2pm (please check dates with B Norwich)
See also all events in the Graduate School of Education.
Here are some of the readings that group members have discussed:
Education and Theory Reading Network
Mona Gleason (2018) Metaphor, materiality, and method: the central role of embodiment in the history of education, Paedagogica Historica, 54:1-2, 4-19, DOI: 10.1080/00309230.2017.1355328 https://doi.org/
Eva Bendix Petersen (2018) ‘Data found us’: A critique of some new materialist tropes in educational research, Research in Education101(1) 5–16
Rosi Braidotti, R. (2018) A Theoretical Framework for the Critical Posthumanities. Theory, Culture & Society, 0(0) 1–31
Martyn Hammersley (2018) What is ethnography? Can it survive? Should it?, Ethnography and Education, 13:1, 1-17, DOI: 10.1080/17457823.2017.1298458
Robert Plomin (2018) Blueprint: how DNA makes us who we are.
Phillip Ball (2018) Does DNA really define destiny? Prospect October 15, 2018
- Chris Winch, Alis Oancea, Janet Orchard (2013) The Contribution of Educational Research to Teachers’ Professional Learning - Philosophical Understandings
- Jeffrey Pocock (2013) Problems with Generalization in Education Research, Their Consequences, and Their Implications
- Carr, W. (2006) Education without Theory British Journal of Educational Studies, 54(2).
- Thomas, G. (1997) What's the use of theory? Harvard Educational Review, 67 (1).
- O’Neill, K. (2012) Designs that fly: what the history of aeronautics tells us about the future of design-based research in education International Journal of Research & method in Education, 35(2).
- John Gray What scares the new atheists. Background reading John Gray, An Appreciation
- Zygmunt Buaman (1983) Ideology And The Weltanschauung of the Intellectuals. Canadian Journal of Political and Social Theory (CJPST), 7(1-2)
- King, M. (2009) Clarifying the Foucault–Habermas debate. Philosophy & Social Criticism, 35 (3), pp 287-314
- Alexander, H. (2007) What is Common About Common Schooling?
- Dewey, J. (1902) The School as Social Center. The Elementary School Teacher, Vol 3, No 2, pp 73-86
- Chapter 16 - Rethinking the Material, the Embodied and the Social for Professional Education by Lina Markauskaite and Peter Goodyear
- Lina Markauskaite and Peter Goodyear, Ch16: Rethinking the Material, the Embodied and the Social for Professional Education
- Braidotti, R. (2012) Posthuman Humanities
- Snaza, N & et al (2014) Toward a Posthumanist Education
- Amartya Sen (2006) What Do We Want from a Theory of Justice?
- Glassman, M. & Patton, R (2013) Capability Through Participatory Democracy: Sen, Freire, and Dewey
- Joseph A. Maxwell (2004)
- Biesta, G. (2015) The Rediscovery of Teaching: On robot vacuum cleaners, non-egological education and the limits of the hermeneutical world view
- Prigogine, Ilya The arrow of time
Living with Difference Network
- Simonden, Gilbert (1965) Culture and technics. Translated in Radical Philosophy (2015), 189, 17-23. https://www.radicalphilosophy.com/article/culture-and-technics-1965
- Introduction to Simonden (2015) Radical Philosophy, 189, 15-16. http://www.radicalphilosophy.com/wp-content/files_mf/rp189_articles1_bardin_menegalle_intro_to_simondon.pdf
- Lack, Brian (2009) No Excuses: A Critique of the Knowledge Is Power Program (KIPP) Within Charter Schools in the USA. Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies 7, no. 2, 127-152. http://www.jceps.com/wp-content/uploads/PDFs/07-2-06.pdf
- Simondon, Gilbert (1992) The Genesis of the Individual. Chapter in Incorporations by J.Crary & S. K. Winter (ed)
- Brighouse, Harry (2014) Equality, prioritising the disadvantaged, and the new educational landscape http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/03054985.2014.979013
- Karen Bared. Intra-active Enganglements. An Interview with Karen Barad.
- Francis, B., Mills, M. (2012) Schools as damaging organisations: instigating a dialogue concerning alternative models of schooling. Pedagogy, Culture and Society, 20(2), 251- 271. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/14681366.2012.688765
- Blaise, M. (2013) Charting new territories: re-assembling childhood sexuality in the early years classroom. Gender and Education, 25(7), 801-817. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09540253.2013.797070#.U471SfnIa3w
- Gergen, K.J. (2009) Ch 2 In the Beginning Is the Relationship in Gergen, K.J. (2009) Relational Being: Beyond Self and Community, Oxford University Press.
- Chappell, A., Ernest, P., Ludhra, G. & Mendicka, H. (2014) Explorations in knowing: thinking psychosocially about legitimacy. Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 22(1), 137-156. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14681366.2013.877205
- Rata, E. (2013) The politics of knowledge in education. British Educational Research Journal, 38(1), 103-124. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1080/01411926.2011.615388/abstract
- Young, M. and Muller, Y. (2010) Three Educational Scenarios for the Future: lessons from the sociology of knowledge. European Journal of Education, 45(1), 11-27. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1465-3435.2009.01413.x/abstract
- Olssen, M. (2006) Understanding the mechanisms of neoliberal control: lifelong learning, flexibility and knowledge capitalism. International Journal of Lifelong Education, 25(3), 213–230. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02601370600697045
- Smith, Michael. (2010) Dworkin on External Skepticism, Boston University Law Review, 90(2), 509-520. http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/organizations/journals/bulr/documents/SMITH.pdf
- Dworkin, Ronald (2010) Justice for Hedgehogs (keynote address), Boston University Law Review, 90(2), 469-477. http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/organizations/journals/bulr/documents/DWORKIN_K.pdf
- Mouffe C. (2000) Deliberative Democracy or Agonistic Pluralism. Political Science Series 72. http://www.ihs.ac.at/publications/pol/pw_72.pdf
- Lawy, R. and Wheeler, R. (2013) The experiences of long-term unemployed young people in the SW of England: some new insights. Research in post compulsory education, 1-2, 159-174. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13596748.2013.755856#tabModule
- Reay, D. (2005) Beyond Consciousness? The Psychic Landscape of Social Class. Sociology, 39(5), 911-928. http://soc.sagepub.com/content/39/5/911
- Skeggs, B (2008) The dirty history of feminism and sociology: or the war of conceptual attrition. Sociological Review, 56(4), 670-690. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-954X.2008.00810.x/abstract
- Hey, V. (2002) Horizontal solidarities and molten capitalism: the subject, intersubjectivity, self and the other in late capitalism. Discourse, 23(2), 227-241. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0159630022000000796#.U2EGSvldWSo
- Levinas. E. God and Philosophy.
- Chinnery A. (2003) Aesthetics of surrender: Levinas and the disruption of moral agency. Philosophy of Education, 22, 5-17.
- Todd, S. (2008) Facing Humanity: the difficult task of cosmopolitan education, PESGB.
- Brown C. (1997) Universal Human Rights: a critique. The International Journal of Human Rights, 1 (2), 41-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13642989708406666
- Donald, J. (1996) The citizen and the man about town in Hall, S. and Du Gay, P. Questions of Cultural Identity, Sage Publications, London.
- Renold, E. and Ringrose, J. (2008) Regulation and rupture : Mapping tween and teenage girls' resistance to the heterosexual matrix. Feminist Theory, 9, 313 – 338. http://fty.sagepub.com/content/9/3/313
- Deleuze and Guattari (1987) Introduction: Rhizome in Deleuze and Guattari A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia, University of Minnesota Press: Minneapolis, London.
- Braidotti, R. A Critical Cartography of Feminist Post-postmodernism. Australian Feminist Studies, Vol 20, No 47, 169-180.
- Boyne, R. (1990) Chapter 5 Post Hierarchical Politics in Boyne, R. Foucault Derrida. The Other Side of Reason, 123-165.
- Contu, A. (2008) Decaf Resistance On Misbehavior, Cynicism, and Desire in Liberal Workplaces. Management Communication Quarterly, 21(3), 364-379. http://mcq.sagepub.com/content/21/3/364
- Edward Docz. (2011) Postmodernism is dead. Prospect, Issue 185. http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/postmodernism-is-dead-va-exhibition-age-of-authenticism/#.U2D62PldWSo
- Kirby, Alan (2006) The Death of Postmodernism And Beyond. Philosophy Now. http://philosophynow.org/issues/58/The_Death_of_Postmodernism_And_Beyond
- Young, M.F.D. (2011) Curriculum theory and the problem of knowledge: a personal journey and an unfinished project OR Why educators must differentiate knowledge from experience. Pacific Asian Educational Consortium Journal, No 1.
- Sennett, Richard. Respect: The Formation of Character in a World of Inequality.
- Bowring, F. (2011) Comparing Bauman and Arendt: Three Important Differences. Sociology, 45(1), 54-69. http://soc.sagepub.com/content/45/1/54
- Blunden, Andy. (2009) An Interdisciplinary Concept of Activity. Outlines, 1, 1-26.
- Arendt, Hannh. The Crisis in Education.
- Biesta, G.J.J. A New Logic of Emancipation: the methodology of Jacques Rancière. Educational Theory, 39-59.
- Osberg, D.C. (2010) Knowledge is not made for understanding. It is made for cutting. Complicity: An International Journal of Complexity and Education, 7(2), iii-viii.
- Scott, S. (2010) Revisiting the Total Institution: Performative Regulation in the Reinventive Institution. Sociology, 44(2), 213-231. http://soc.sagepub.com/content/44/2/213.abstract
- Coulthard, G.S. (2007) Subjects of Empire: Indigenous Peoples and the ‘Politics of Recognition’ in Canada. Contemporary Political Theory, 6, 437-460.
- Cunliffe, L. Wittgenstein’s and Gombrich’s Parallel Therapeutic Projects for Modernity and Art Education
- Benhabib , Seyla. (1999) Citizens, residents, and aliens in a changing world: Political membership in the Global Era. Social Research, 66, 3, 709-744.
- Ernest, P. (2007) Globalization, Ideology and Research in Mathematics Education, in Vithal, R., Setati, M and Malcolm, C., Eds., (2007) Methodologies for Researching Mathematics, Science and Technological Education in Societies in Transition, Cape Town, South Africa: Heinemann.
- Joas, Hans. Values Versus Norms: A Pragmatist Account of Moral Objectivity. The Hedgehog Review, Fall 01.