- New students
- About us
- Staff profiles
- PGCE programmes
- Undergraduate opportunities
- Partnership with schools
- Graduate and Professional Studies
- Continuing Professional Development
- TESOL options
- International students
- Life at St Luke's
- Support for students and staff
- Contact us
- Continuing Education
- Primary Enrichment Courses for KS2 children
- Current students
- Programme specifications
- Module descriptors
- Staff intranet
Learning for Teaching: School Experience modules for undergraduates and Masters students 2017 - 2018
Teaching is one of the most rewarding careers you can embark on. Gain experience and insight into this challenging profession while studying for your undergraduate or Masters degree, no matter what subject you’re taking. To help you discover if teaching is right for you, or if you're just interested in developing your skills in this area, we have developed an accredited teaching experience module, which is open to all second and third year undergraduates and most Masters students at the University of Exeter.
The Learning for Teaching modules are now closed for 2016-17. Module registration for 2017-18 will open in March 2017
- Give you school experience and professional knowledge to strengthen your application for teacher training
- Develop your professional skills
- Help give you a head start once you embark on a teacher training course
- Are available in 15 and 30 credit versions (involving one and two week placements respectively)
- Can be taken by 2nd and 3rd year undergraduates and by most students undertaking a Masters course
- Are open to students from any discipline in the University
- Involve placements which take place outside of university teaching time almost anywhere in the country
The Graduate School of Education has been providing teacher training at St. Luke’s Campus for more than 150 years. We are renowned for our Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) programmes and education research.
Read the full description for the Learning for Teaching: School Experience modules.
How to register
When online registration is open the Learning for Teaching modules should appear as available options: you can select one of these just as you would any other optional module.
In the unlikely event that places remain available after online registration has closed, you would apply through your Discipline Office to change an existing optional module to a Learning for Teaching module.
Please note that as this module includes placement in a school, all participating students will have to complete a Disclosure & Barring Service declaration.
You will either be required to undertake a 5 or 10 day placement depending on whether you select the 15- or 30- credit module. All block placements must be undertaken during the specified dates.
For 2017/18 these dates include:
- 3-7, 10-14 and 17-21 July 2017
- 4-8, 11-15 September 2017 and (providing this doesn’t clash with Welcome Week commitments) 18-22 September 2017
- Between 16 and 27 April 2018 (2nd placement week only - 5 days within this period)
- It may also be possible to self-arrange a series of placements (i.e. 1 day per week for 5/10 weeks). Please ensure that the series starts on one of the placement week dates provided above, and ensure it finishes early enough to enable you to complete your assignment (Autumn term or early Spring term advised)
Your placement will be entirely self-arranged in a school of your choice. You may wish to contact schools with which you have previous experience, including your old school. This route also provides flexibility to arrange a series of days/half days if a week block is not suitable. However, please note that afternoon in schools are short, often only containing one lesson, so arranging afternoons only would not be suitable. The GSE Office will provide a template letter for you.
For more information please see the Learning for Teaching FAQs.
If you have any questions regarding placements please contact email@example.com