De Bono's Six Thinking Hats
Edward de Bono is regarded by many as the leading authority in the field of creative thinking, innovation and the direct teaching of thinking as a skill. He is equally renowned for his development of the Six Thinking Hats. The Six Thinking Hats method provides a practical method of constructive thinking. Each thinking role is identified with a coloured hat as shown to the right. Six Thinking Hats is a simple, effective parallel thinking process that helps people be more productive, focused, and mindfully involved.
The Six Thinking Hats (or modes)
- The White Hat calls for information known or needed.
- The Red Hat signifies feelings, hunches and intuition.
- The Black Hat is judgment -- the devil's advocate or why something may not work.
- The Yellow Hat symbolizes brightness and optimism.
- The Green Hat focuses on creativity: the possibilities, alternatives and new ideas.
- The Blue Hat is used to manage the thinking process.
See edwdebono.com for further information.