Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2148: Arabic for Beginners II
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
This module aims to enhance your reading, writing and communication skills in Modern Written Arabic. The module aims to develop all language-related skills, including reading, listening, speaking, writing and cultural knowledge, by means of written texts and audio-visual clips. By the end of the course, you are expected to have achieved basic to intermediate proficiency in the language.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Use grammatical tools learned on the module to create and understand complex sentences that include main and subordinate clauses; |
2. Use acquired vocabulary to converse and write on a range of topics, including: oneself; friends, family and colleagues; work; and location
3. translate basic pieces of discourse between Arabic and English;
4. understanding of simple audio-visual clips in Modern Standard Arabic.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Apply elementary grammar rules in writing and in conversation;|
6. read more advanced texts on a variety of topics and understand the main ideas with and without a dictionary.
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Develop time management skills and ability to conduct independent study;|
8. Work in pairs and groups in conversation
9. Demonstrate the ability to work independently, within a limited time frame, and without access to external sources, to complete a specified task.