Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2176: Spaces of Domination and Resistance in the Middle-East
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
In this module, you will gain an in-depth and nuanced understanding of the dynamics of space and place making in the Middle-East and their relation to power. You will become versed in a variety of theories from human and critical geography, anthropology, and politics. You will also engage deeply with the discussion of the spatial dynamics of power in the context of the Middle East and North Africa. In so doing you will explore a broad range of themes including colonialism and nationalism, development and neoliberalism, migrations and mobility, public and private spaces, citiscapes, environment, and nature. You will gain a familiarity with works that are important in both Middle Eastern Studies and geography and social sciences. Through active learning, you will also develop skills that are widely applicable beyond these disciplines, namely critical thinking and analysis, argumentation, presenting skills, and academic writing.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate understanding of the dynamics of space making in their relation to practices of domination and resistance|
2. Identify and assess the political, economic, environmental dynamics of the construction and use of space in the Middle East and North Africa
3. Evaluate different theoretical and methodological approaches developed in the study of space and power in the Middle East
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Analyse and assess academic texts critically|
5. Analyse, distinguish a range of sources and methods including academic writing, maps and images, works of art, fictions and memoirs.
6. Apply a multi-disciplinary approach in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of space and power.
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Assess and review a wide range of literature and material|
8. Engage in independent study and group work
9. Plan and produce work to a deadline