Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ARA2176: Spaces of Domination and Resistance in the Middle-East
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover some or all of the following topics:
- Spaces of Colonialism
- Engineering the territory of the nation-state
- Landscapes of development and neo-liberalism
- Heritages and Spaces of Memory
- Geographies of mobilities and containment: beyond walls and camps
- Tahrir square and Gezi park: resisting in the public spaces
- A place called home: a private space of resistance?
- Global warming and transformation of energy landscape
- The construction and predation of nature in the Middle East
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activity||22||Lecture (1 hour) followed by seminar (1 hour)|
|Guided Independent Study||44||Weekly reading (4 hours per week)|
|Guided Independent Study||11||Class Preparation (1 hour per week)|
|Guided Independent Study||36||Essay Preparation (20 hours reading+16 hours writing)|
|Guided Independent Study||37||Project Preparation (20 hours researching+ 17 hours preparing project/presentation/writing)|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).