New postgraduates autumn 2019
A very warm welcome to the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies. We are delighted that you are joining us, and very much hope that you will find your time here at Exeter stimulating, challenging, and rewarding.
Information about things you'll need to do before arriving at Exeter can be found on our New Students website.
Please come back to this website for your schedule for Academic Induction which will be available soon.
As a postgraduate you'll almost certainly be familiar with the idea of a Welcome Week (also referred to as Freshers' Week) - but it's not just for undergraduates. Even if you completed your undergraduate degree recently you will still need to adjust to a new programme - possibly new tutors - and a new social group.
Freshers' Week runs from Monday 16 to Sunday 22 September 2019. Arrivals weekend is therefore Friday 13 - Sunday 15 September.
Freshers' Week comprises:
- Academic Induction activities
- University-wide events (for example, information about services to support you as a student - these often run multiple times so you can select one at a time that works for you)
- Social events
Academic Induction activities are the key sessions for you to attend so you should make sure you are aware of these, and then fit any University-wide and social events around them.
You will be able to see the entire Freshers' Week timetable from the beginning of September in iExeter but you will need to activate your IT account first. Please see the main University webpages for new students for details of what to do before you arrive which provides further information about this process.
A Note for International Students
It is important that you bring your original certificates of qualification so that we can register you at the University. Copies of certificates, such as those downloaded from a web portal for example, cannot be accepted.
Share your experiences, support prospective students and earn while you learn
Can you commit to one hour a week chatting to prospective students on your smartphone? Do you enjoy talking/writing? If yes, apply to become a Unibuddy Ambassador for the University of Exeter.
- Share your experiences of University life
- Build professional skills
- Improve your CV and increase employability prospects
- Support students just like you
- Earn while you learn
Unibuddy is a social platform that connects current students with prospective applicants from around the world. Through informal chats, blogs and videos, Unibuddy ambassadors offer support, guidance and information to help applicants make the right decisions about higher education.
As a Unibuddy ambassador you will:
- Answer questions from students about study, life and your experience at university (one hour per week at the standard ESA (Exeter Student Ambassador) hourly rate).
- Help students find the right information and contact details for particular departments/people at the University of Exeter.
- Check your account on a daily basis and answer questions in a timely manner.
- Keep conversations going and build up a friendly relationship with students by asking questions and being engaging.
- Provide a real insight into the University of Exeter experiences through chats, blogs and videos (a minimum of two pieces of content per month).
To be a successful Unibuddy you will:
- Be a confident communicator who enjoys producing engaging content.
- Have a positive outlook on university life and study.
- Be flexible and willing to respond to questions quickly and efficiently.
- Adopt a mature and professional approach to conversations.
How to apply:
To apply for this role, please express your interest to G.Ryder2@exeter.ac.uk. We look forward to hearing from you!