The Centre hosts several major externally funded research projects and a thriving PhD student community.
Public engagement and presentation of research results is a further key activity of the Centre, through Exhibition curation in the Street Gallery in the Institute, and elsewhere, and via conferences such as Islamic Archaeology in Global Perspective (Bahrain, 2017) lectures, and seminars.
- Sewn Boats of the Qatar Museums Collection
- The Boat Builders of Zanzibar: Nautical Technology and Maritime Identity in a Changing World
- Bahari Yetu, Urithi Wetu: Our Sea, Our Heritage
- The Songs of the Mariners Project
- Magic in Malta, 1605
- The island city of Tinnis, Egypt
- Shell-first boats of the Sudanese Nile
- Becoming Muslim: Conversion to Islam and Islamisation in Eastern Ethiopia
- The Islamic Funerary Inscriptions of Bahrain, pre-1900 CE