Dr Kumail Rajani
Kumail Rajani is a Postdoc Research Fellow in Islamic Studies at the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, University of Exeter, working on the Law, Authority and Learning in Shiite Islam (www.lawalisi.eu) project. His entry on ‘Hadith: Shiʿi’ is published in the online Oxford Bibliography of Islamic Studies. Though primarily focused on the origins and development of Shīʿī Ḥadīth, his research includes Qur’anic exegesis, fiqh, uṣūl, Ismaili Studies, and Shiʿi Studies more broadly. Kumail completed his doctoral thesis entitled ‘Making Sense of Ismaili Traditions: The Modes and Meanings of the Transmission of Ḥadīth in the Works of al-Qāḍī al-Nuʿmān (d. 363/974)’ at the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, University of Exeter. Kumail spent a number of years in Shiʿi seminary (Ḥawza) of Qum studying and teaching classical Islamic texts of ḥadīth, fiqh and Islamic legal theory.
His current research focuses on Shiʿi legal maxims (al-qawāʿid al-fiqhiyya)
· Poonawala, Ismail K. A Well-Trodden Path: Studies in Ismaili Texts and Thought, ed. Kumail Rajani (Leiden: Brill, 2020) [forthcoming].
· Rajani, Kumail; Rizvi, Sajjad. “Classical and Medieval Biographical Works: Twelver Shīʿī Scholarship on Rijāl” in The Oxford Handbook of Ḥadīth Studies, ed. Mustafa Shah (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2020) [forthcoming].
· Rajani, Kumail; Rizvi, Sajjad. “Shīʿite and Zaydite Approaches to Ḥadīth Criticism” in The Oxford Handbook of Ḥadīth Studies, ed. Mustafa Shah (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2020) [forthcoming]
· Rajani, Kumail; Muʾaddab, Sayyid Riḍā. “Barrasī Taḥlīlī-i Ḥadīth ‘Innamā yaʿrifu al-Qurʾānu man khūtiba bihi’” Kitāb-i Qayyim 18 (1397sh/2018), 339-65. (Persian)
· Rajani, Kumail. “Hadith: Shiʿi” in Oxford Bibliographies in Islamic Studies, http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195390155/obo-9780195390155-0235.xml (accessed 16-Apr-2017)
· Rajani, Kumail. Bohreha dar Bastar e Tārīkh wa Andīshe: Jamāʿatī az Shīʿayān i Ismāʿīliyye i Ṭayyibiyye iHind (Bohras in the Scrolls of History and Ideas: A Shīʿī Ṭayyibī-Ismāʿīlī Community of India), Qom: Al-Mustafa International Publication Center, 1393sh/2014. (Persian)
Second print: 1394sh/2015 (Persian)
Third print: 1394sh/2015 (Persian)
Fourth print: 1397sh/2018 (Persian)
· Rajani, Kumail. “Bohreha dar Bastar e Tārīkh wa Andīshe,” Pazuhishnama-i Ḥikmat wa Falsafe-i Islāmī, 30 (1388sh/2010), 65-90. (Persian)
· Rajani, Kumail. Shii Dates Project: http://shiidates.net/
· Rajani, Kumail. A Pioneering Workshop on Legal Maxims: Origins, Development and Intersection of the Genre of Legal Maxims (al-qawāʿid al-fiqhiyya) in the Shīʿī, Ibāḍī and four Sunni legal madhāhib, Islamic Law Blog.