Undergraduate Module Descriptor
LAW2035B: Constitutional and Administrative Law
This module descriptor refers to the 2017/8 academic year.
It is envisaged that the syllabus will include the following topics in the following order although precise content and order may vary.
- The nature of constitutions and the purposes of constitutionalism.
- The constitution of the United Kingdom: institutions; legal and non-legal rules; underlying
principles: parliamentary sovereignty, the rule of law and separation of powers.
- The impact of European law on parliamentary sovereignty and the constitution of the United Kingdom.
- The impact of devolution on parliamentary sovereignty and the constitution of the United Kingdom.
- The protection of individual liberties within the constitutional framework of the UK. The Human Rights Act 1998.
- Introduction to the theory, origins and nature of administrative law
- Functions and characteristics of administrative powers and controls
- The essence and practice of judicial review: Ambit, Grounds, Remedies
- The limits on judicial review
- Administrative tribunals and ombudsmen.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching activities||22||22 x 1 hour Lectures|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching activities||13.5||9 x 1.5 hour seminars|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching activities||13.5||9 x 1.5 hour syndicate workshops|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching activities||9||9 x 1 hour Q & A sessions|
|Guided Independent study||18||9 x 2 hour peer-led syndicate meetings & activities|
|Guided Independent study||11||ELE materials|
|Guided Independent study||18||Syndicate preparation|
|Guided Independent study||51||Seminar preparation|
|Guided Independent study||18||Consolidation of learning|
|Guided Independent study||10||Formative assessment preparation|
|Guided Independent study||12||Formative exercises|
|Guided Independent study||86||Summative assessment preparation|
|Guided Independent Study||18||Individual reading and lecture preparation|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).