Undergraduate Module Descriptor
LAW3142: Environmental Law and Planning
This module descriptor refers to the 2018/9 academic year.
While the module’s precise content and syllabus may vary each year, it is anticipated that it will cover the following topics :
Foundations of Environmental Law
- Definitions, History
- Values, Principles and Philosophy
- Sectors, Sources and Institutions
- Regulation, Compliance and Enforcement
Critical Perspectives in Environmental Law
- Habitat Protection and the Ecosystems Approach
- Human Rights and Environmental Law
- Earth Jurisprudence: Law, Animal, Ecology
- Marine Spatial Planning and the Future and Environmental Law
Introduction to Town and Country Planning
History and Ideologies
- Planning Authorities, the Localism Act 2011 and the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF)
- Defining Development: The Need for Planning Permission and General Permitted Development
- Defining Development: Change of Use and Operational Development
- Planning Conditions, Planning Agreements and Planning Gain
- Appeals, Judicial Review and Enforcement
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment and its History
- The European Requirement of Environmental Impact Assessment
- The Application of EIA in English Law
- The Trump Golf Case Study
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching Activities||44||22 x 2 hour lectures|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching Activities||9||Workshops - 6 x 1.5 hour (3 per term) which will involve student-led individual and group work, with guidance and intervention from a tutor|
|Guided Independent Study||108||General reading for the module|
|Guided Independent Study||54||Workshop preparation|
|Guided Independent Study||85||Assessment preparation|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
Web based and electronic resources:
Electronic journals and databases such as EUR-Lex, West law, Lexis Nexis, Hein Online etc.
www.planningresource.co.uk - The Website of Planning, the journal of the Royal Town and Country Planning Institute. Best source of regular planning news.
www.planningportal.gov.uk - Provides Government information on the planning system etc
www.planning-inspectorate.gov.uk - The website of the planning inspectorate, whose inspectors hear appeals.
www.rtpi.org.uk - Website of the Royal Town Planning Institute, the professional body of the planning profession.
www.idea-knowledge.gov.uk - Website of the Planning Advisory Service. The service aims to give planners help.
www.tcpa.org.uk - Website of the Town and Country Planning Association. The site contains extensive resources relating to city, regional and environmental planning.
www.jncc.defra.gov.uk– Website of the Joint Nature Conservation Committee. This site contains extensive details of onshore and offshore areas that have been designated under European law.
Other Learning Resources
Those provided for and distributed to the students by the ESI and local environmental initiatives collaborated with.