There is a flourishing community of research students in the School
The Law School has a worldwide reputation for excellence in teaching and research, attracting academics, visiting lecturers and students from across the globe. As a postgraduate student at the School you will be part of a diverse and dynamic community.
The School has three long standing research Centres in Family Law, Legal History and European law and has vibrant new groupings in International and Human Rights Law and Science, Culture and the Law.
We offer a range of taught LLM degree programmes and an MRes Socio-Legal Research as well as PhD and Masters by research programmes. The University is pleased to be able to offer a variety of funding awards to those wishing to undertake postgraduate study in addition to excellent facilities and a friendly and supportive environment in which to study.
Our postgraduate students gain excellent employment prospects and we are able to benefit from extremely good relations with members of the legal profession regionally, nationally and internationally. We retain strong links with our alumni, many of whom occupy senior positions in the legal field in the UK and overseas.
Find out more about life as a postgraduate student in the Law School from our students.
- A vibrant, cosmopolitan and supportive postgraduate research community
- Personal tutor support and close contact with academic staff who are leaders in their fields
- Innovative LLMs in Human Rights, International Commercial Law, International and Comparative Public Law
- 11th for Law in The Sunday Times University Guide 2013
- Highly topical degree programmes which are academically rigorous and practically relevant
- Small seminar and teaching groups enabling you to perform to the best of your potential
- Excellent career prospects
- Opportunity to experience the workings of EU institutions or the UN with one of our study tours
We welcome enquiries about our postgraduate taught and research programmes from interested students throughout the year.
Postgraduate taught degrees
For enquiries about postgraduate taught student admissions contact:
Tel. +44 (0) 1392 723192
College of Social Sciences and International Studies Graduate Research School
The College of Social Sciences and International Studies has its own Graduate Research School which provides practical help and advice to prospective and current students. Contact us if you have any queries about postgraduate study within the College or would like to arrange a visit.
Postgraduate research degrees
Professor Jenny McEwan
Professor of Criminal Law, Director of Doctoral Studies
Phone +44 (0)1392 263162
Our Postgraduate Research Students Co-Ordinator, Professor Jenny McEwan, will be delighted to answer any questions you may have. We can suggest an appropriate supervisor on your behalf, or you can contact a member of staff by email if you wish to discuss your proposal directly with them.