Dr Kyriaki Noussia
Dr. Kyriaki Noussia is a Senior Lecturer / Assistant Professor in Law (E&R). Prior to that (2010-2015) she has worked as a counsel in arbitrations and as an arbitrator. Outside arbitrations, she has regularly advised legally on various areas of law, most notably on maritime, energy, environmental, insurance and reinsurance law issues.
In 2018 she was recipient of the prestigious Exeter - Tsinghua Fellowship and visited Tsinghua University (Law School) in Beijing (China). In 2013 she has been a Fulbright (Greece) Visiting Research Scholar and a Stavros Niarchos Foundation Research Grant Holder at the Columbia Law School (NY, USA). Between 2007 & 2010 she has been a holder of the prestigious Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship (University of Hamburg & Max Planck Institute for Private Law, Hamburg, Germany). In 2004-2007 she was a C.S.E.T. Lecturer in Law (University of Birmingham, UK). She has been a visiting academic at universities in Australia, Turkey, Italy, France, Germany, Greece, the United States and China.
Dr Kyriaki Noussia has a PhD in Marine Insurance Law from the University of Southampton (UK). She previously received an LLM in International Trade Law from the University of Essex (UK) and an LLB (Ptychion) from the University of Athens (Greece). She is a Greek Barrister with the Athens Bar Association (since 1997) and is licensed to appear before the Greek Supreme Court and the Conseil d’ Etat (since2012).
Dr. Kyriaki Noussia is a member of a number of professional bodies and scientific societies:
- Barrister – Athens Bar Association, Athens, Greece (since 1995)
- Fellow of the HEA (UK) (since 2007)
- British Maritime Law Association (UK) (since 2002)
- Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA) (Australia) (since 2006)
- Hellenic Insurance Law Association (HILA) (Greece) (since 2010)
- International Insurance Law Association (AIDA) (since 2006)
- Society of Legal Scholars (UK) (since 2002)
- European Law Institute (ELI ) (Austria) (since 2014)
Within the International Insurance Law Association (AIDA) she has many roles. In 2014 at the World Congress in Rome she was elected to sit as a member of its Presidential Council. In 2018 at the World Congress in Rio de Janeiro she will be elected to be one of the Vice Presidents of AIDA World. She is also the Chair of the Working Party on General Principles of Insurance Law & the Secretary of the Working Party on Distribution of Insurance Products and Co-chairs with Prof. Pierpaolo Marano the AIDA Europe Scientific Committee.
Dr. Noussia welcomes applications from students interested in carrying out research in insurance and reinsurance law, arbitration law, oil and gas law, environmental law, and private and public maritime law.
- Arbitration Law (notably international commercial arbitration, oil & gas arbitration, construction arbitration, maritime arbitration, investment arbitration)
- Maritime Law (especially marine insurance)
- Law of the Sea
- Insurance & Reinsurance Law
- Energy Law (Oil & Gas)
- Environmental Law
- Artificial Intelligence (AI ) & the Law
Research group links
Dr. Noussia is willing to provide Ph.D. supervision mainly in the areas of:
- insurance law; reinsurance law
- maritime law (marine insurance; carriage of goods by sea)
- law of the sea
- environmental law
- energy law (oil and gas; EU energy law)
- arbitration law (oil and gas; investment; construction; shipbuilding; maritime)
- artificial intelligenc (AI) & the law
- Bouvery, Louise: Lex Petrolea, Arbitration and Other Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms in Oil and Gas Contracts: A critical Analysis. (First Supervisor)
- Choi, Junghwan: The Prevention of Marine pollution from ships in The Yellow sea: Assessing the need for the establishment of a Particularly Sensitive Sea Area (PSSA). (First Supervisor)
- Nedeva, Stanislava: Certainty and predictability in international oil and gas contracts, parties’ duty to act in good faith, and the role of international arbitrators in adapting contractual terms in cases of changed circumstances. (First Supervisor)
- Wang, Chang: The impact of Chinese Arbitration law and services on international arbitration law and practice. (First Supervisor)
- Wali, Emmanuel: The Impact of Jurisdictional Competence in ICSID Arbitration on Investment Contracts and Disputes. (2nd Supervisor)
- Pearse, Martin: The impact of digitisation on commercial litigation practice (2nd Supervisor)
- Corlu, Huseyin: The Application of Anti-Manipulation Law to EU Wholesale Energy markets and Its Interplay With Competition Law (defended and PhD awarded with no corrections (summa cum laude equivalent) on 28/9/2017)
Dr. Kyriaki Noussia has been the holder of various scholarships, honours and awards:
- (2018): Election as Vice President of the International Insurance Law Association (AIDA) – XVth World Congress (Oct. 2018, Rio de janeiro, Brazil).
- (2018): Exeter- Tsinghua Fellowship (Tsinghua University Law School, Beijing, China)
- (2019, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011): Alexander von Humboldt Return Short-Term Return Research Grant :Max Planck Institute for Private Law, Hamburg, Germany.
- (2014): Election as a Member of the Presidential Council of the International Insurance Law Association (AIDA) – XIVth World Congress (Sept. 2014, Rome, Italy).
- (2014): Appointment as the Chair of the Working Party on Principles of Insurance Law of the International Insurance Law Association (AIDA) – XIVth World Congress (Sept. 2014, Rome, Italy).
- (2013): BILA (British Insurance Law Association) shortlisting for the Book of the Year Prize: for the book “Reinsurance Arbitrations”, Springer Publications, Monograph (published in Dec. 2013) .
- (2013): BILA (British Insurance Law Association) Prize Award 2013 for my contribution ““A Legal and Regulatory Definition of Insurance: Different Common Law and Civil Law Approaches" in the book of K. Lazarus & J. Burling (Eds.) "Research Handbook on International Insurance Law & Regulation", Edward Elgar Publishing & Lloyds of London (2012)
- (2013): Fulbright (Greece) Visiting Research Scholar: Columbia Law School March-April 2013.
- (2013): Stavros Niarchos Foundation Research Grant: Columbia Law School March-April 2013.
- (2007-2010): Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow: University of Hamburg, Law Faculty, Hamburg, Germany & Max Planck Institute for Private Law, Hamburg, Germany.
- (2005): British Academy Small Research Grant: University of Sydney, Law Faculty (Sydney, NSW, Australia) & University of Wollongong, Law Faculty (Wollongong, NSW, Australia)
- (2002, 2006, 2011, 2012): Max Planck Society Research Grant: Max Planck Institute for Private Law, Hamburg, Germany.
- (2002-2003): Norwegian Research Council Research Award: Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, University of Oslo, Faculty of Law, Oslo, Norway.