Professor Ian Bateman is a member of the UK Natural Capital Committee which provides advice to the government on the sustainable use of natural capital - that is, our natural assets including forests, rivers, land, minerals and oceans.
LEEP is keen to work with policy makers in designing and appraising public policy. We aim to provide insight to enable governments to formulate effective policies and to understand their impact on society.
Our academic staff have an impressive track record of working with policy makers and have been involved in major projects for the UK Government funded by DEFRA, NERC and others.
LEEP academics are or have recently been involved as members of several advisory bodies including:
- UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) Natural Capital Committee (NCC) reporting to the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
- Defra Science Advisory Council (SAC)
- Member of the Board of Directors of the UK Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC).
- Aldersgate Group linking environmental research, policy and business
- Food Security & Land Research Alliance (encompassing the universities of Bath, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter, Rothamsted Research and Duchy College).
They are involved in key projects to support and inform policy makers. For example: