What is outreach?
- Inspire intellectual and personal curiosity by providing relevant activities that provide insight into discipline-specific programmes
- To help prospective students make realistic and informed choices about their future
- Raise aspirations and support progression to higher education among under-represented groups in local and regional schools and colleges.
- Build long-term relationships with schools that will support students through all stages of their education.
We can deliver a wide range of activities both on-campus or in schools and colleges. These activities include subject –themed presentations and workshops, information and advice and residential opportunities, which can be offered to a range of year groups, but with specific focus on years 10 to 13.
Where appropriate, our activities are supported by trained, discipline-specific undergraduate Advocates who will provide assistance at events for schools and colleges. As well as helping to facilitate workshops or presentations, advocates can also provide course-specific information, advice and guidance.
If you would like to find out more about our undergraduate programmes please visit our pages on undergraduate Social Sciences and International Studies degree programmes.
- Arab and Islamic Studies
- Politics and International Relations
- Sociology, Philosophy and Anthropology
Kate Blackmore, Outreach Officer- Communications & Corporate Affairs
I enjoy working with students of all ages from primary school to sixth form, and hope to provide experiences at university or in school to aspire these students to come to university in the future. I have now been working at the university for six years, and before that in Further Education in the north-west.
Tel: +44 (0)1392 725628
Melissa Barrett, Marketing and Widening Participation Assistant
I have been working at the University for over two years in Communications, Marketing and Digital roles, initially within the College of Humanities and now in Social Sciences and International Studies. I also studied here, completing an BA in English and an MFA in Theatre Practice: Staging Shakespeare, joining not long after graduation. In my outreach role, I am driven to help increase opportunities for, inspire and raise aspirations for students, as well as ensure that they have the best experience at our events.
Tel: +44 (0)1392 724769
Academics & teaching staff
Dr Sarah Cooper – Lecturer in Politics
Dr Owen Thomas – Lecturer in Politics and international Relations
Martin Moorby – Postgraduate Teaching Assistant