Dr Stephane Baele
Senior Lecturer in International Studies
Dr. Stephane J. Baele (Ph.D. Academie Louvain – University of Namur, Belgium; MA University College London, UK) is Senior Lecturer in International Relations. He is also currently the academic coordinator for the International Summer School in International Relations, as well as the deputy director of the Centre for Advanced International Studies (CAIS).
His research chiefly focuses on the role of language in political violence and (in)security, from a multi-disciplinary perspective. This has led him to publish on issues as varied as terrorism, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, or migration policies, making use of both quali and quanti methods. His work has appeared in a wide range of very different journals. In 2016-2017 he led a CREST award studying ISIS' propaganda, with Dr. Travis Coan and Dr. Katharine Boyd.
- Terrorism and political violence, especially the role of language.
- IR theory, security studies.
- Foucault's philosophy.
I supervise BA, MA, and PhD students in the following area:
- language, categorization and classification in (security) politics.
- (critical) security studies, securitization.
- (critical) terrorism studies.
- emotions in international politics.
- Foucauldian and Wittgensteinian approaches to politics.
Current PhD student: Ms. Farah Karim, " Examining the “Clash of Civilizations” in the Islamic World: Saudi Arabia and Iran’s Civilizational Identity Construction in School Textbooks and Political Speeches”.
- POL2020 - Contemporary Theories of World Politics
- POL2109 - International Organisations in a Contested World Order
- POL3000 - Deadly Words: The Language of Political Violence
- POLM060 - Global Security
- 2004: "Candidatures" in Social Sciences, Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.
- 2006: "Licences" in Politics & IR, Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.
- 2006: "DEC" in Philosophy, Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.
- 2007: MA research in European Society, University College London, UK.
- 2013: PhD in Political Science and International Relations, Academie Louvain - University of Namur, Belgium.
- 2016: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Exeter, UK.