Sponsor British Academy/Leverhulme
Media in Context and The 2015 General Election: How Traditional and Social Media Shape Elections and Governing
Dr Gabriel Katz
PhD (Caltech), MSc (Caltech), Licenciatura in Economics (Universidad de la Republica)
I earned my Ph.D. from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in June 2010. I also hold an MSc. from Caltech and a Licenciatura in Economics from the Universidad de la Republica, in Uruguay.
I was appointed Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Politics at Exeter in 2012, Senior Lecturer in 2015, and Associate Professor (Reader) in 2019. I am also Professor of Social Sciences at the Universidad Catolica del Uruguay and a Member (Level I) of Uruguay's National Researcher System.
My work focuses on Latin American Politics, Political Behavior, Political Economy and Research Methods, and has been published in leading economics and political science journals such as the American Journal of Political Science, Comparative Political Studies, the Economic Journal and the Journal of Law, Economics & Organization, among others.
Besides my academic work, I am a statistical consultant for fhi360, an international non-profit human development organization, and a research associate for Justice & Care, an NGO working on human trafficking in the UK and the developing world. I have also been a senior data analyst for YouGov/Polimetrix and an economic advisor for the Uruguayan government.
My research uses advanced quantitative methods - mainly Bayesian statistics, but also causal inference and experimental techniques - to address substantive questions in comparative politics, political behaviour and political economy.
My work has been published in leading economics and political science journals, such as the American Journal of Political Science, Comparative Political Studies, the Economic Journal, and the Journal of Law, Economics & Organization, among other outlets, and has been featured in policy reports by the United States Agency for International Development.
- European Research Council: "CIVILSPACE, The Shrinking Space for Civil Society in Europe", 2022-2027 (Senior Collaborator)
- Uruguayan National Research and Development Agency: "Political Economy of Development", 2019 (PI)
- British Academy: “Using Machine Learning Methods to Correct for Survey Misreports in Cross-National Surveys”, 2016-2017 (PI).
- ESRC: “Measuring Information Exposure in Dynamic and Dependent Networks (ExpoNet)”, 2015-2018 (Co-I).
- ESRC: “Media in Context and The 2015 General Election: How Traditional and Social Media Shape Elections and Governing”, 2015-2017 (Co-I).
- British Academy: “Public Service Corporations: estimating the link between public scrutiny and share prices”, 2015-2016 (Co-PI).
- Humanities and Social Sciences Project Development Fund, University of Exeter: “The promise of non-probability samples: improving measurement and inference in cross-national survey research”, 2014-2015 (PI).
- Marie Curie Training Network, European Commission: "VOTEADVICE", 2014-2018 (Co-I).
I would be happy to supervise students working on Latin American Politics, Political Behaviour, Political Economy and Political Methodology. Students I have previously supervised have gone on to have successful academic careers in the UK and Europe.
Previous PhD Students (at University of Exeter):
- Dr Adrian Millican, currently Assistant Professor in Comparative Quantitative Politics, University of Durham, UK.
- Dr Claudia Zucca, currently Assistant Professor, University of Tilburg, the Netherlands.
Current PhD Students:
- Mariam Cook (ESRC-funded): "How can advanced quantitative methods support democratic innovation and decision-making?"
· Cristina Montero (ESRC-funded): "Impacts of corporate agri-business on Bolivia’s Indigenous Peoples: a case study of soya bean value chains in the region of Santa Cruz".
· Natalia Lopez Hornickel (ESRC-funded)
Professor of Social Sciences, Universidad Catolica del Uruguay
Researcher (Level I) of Uruguay's National Researcher System
Resarch Associate, Justice & Care UK
Statistical Advisor, fhi 360
Senior Fellow, National Center for Research Methods, UK
Associate Staff Member, Q-Step Centre, Exeter.
Research Affiliate, Finance and Economics Experimental Laboratory at Exeter (FEELE), Business School, University of Exeter.
Research Associate, Research Methods Centre, Business School, University of Exeter