Universities and countries across the world take various approaches to learning. Study abroad enables you to study your own discipline in the way that it is studied at your host university – sometimes very different to the way we study at Exeter.

Assessment

Converting marks back to Exeter marks

For each partner university the College has a translation scale for converting your marks back. Each module will be converted back separately, and then these marks will be averaged with a weighting according to the credit value of each module. For Law students this mark will make up the whole of year abroad module mark.

For students in Politics/IR/Sociology/Philosophy/Anthropology the best 90 Exeter credits of your marks from abroad will make up one component of your year abroad module (worth 75% of the module mark). The remaining 25% of your module mark will be from your Reflective Assignments.

When you receive your final transcript (after graduation) from Exeter, your year abroad will show only as this one final mark. This will be the mark for the module that represents your time abroad.

If a student has taken more than the required number of credits, then their mark will be generated from the credit-weighted average of the best modules up to the required number of credits. E.g. for a Law student we would use the best 120 Exeter credits.

 

The Effect of Studying Abroad on your Final Degree Award

With a four year programme, where the third year is a year abroad, the degree award will be based on years two, three and four. These years will be weighted in the following proportion respectively; 2:1:4. Therefore the year abroad will receive half the weighting of the second year, which will receive half the weighting of the final year.

It is not permitted for Social Sciences students to receive more than 1/3rd of their degree award from marks obtained overseas.

The Reflective Assignments

The Reflective Assignments are a compulsory part of the assessment for all students undertaking a year abroad in Politics, International Relations, Sociology, Anthropology or Philosophy. These assignments are set by Exeter and count for 30 Exeter credits (15 ECTS credits). Students are therefore required to take only 90 Exeter credits (45 ECTS credits) at their host university.

The assignments have several benefits for both the College and for students:

  • It enables a student to track their personal development over the course of the year, and puts the experience into context.
  • It provides feedback from the students to the School on the host universities.

Examples of learning logs from previous students

 

Introduction to Reflective Essay Writing 2016-17

Reflective Essay Suggested Reading List 2016-17

Reflective Essay Marking Criteria 2016-17

 

*2016-17 cohort: The deadline for submission of your Reflective Essay Assignment through E-BART is before 2pm on Thursday 12th October 2017.

 

The Reflective Assignments do not form part of the assessment for Law students going abroad.

 

To find out more about the financial side of studying abroad click on Money.