Studying

While you are abroad, you will generally continue studying the same subjects as you do at the moment. However, since a year abroad is in addition to your normal three year degree course, there is a little more room for flexibility. Some students deviate a little from their usual area of study for the following reasons:

  • To study the language of the country they are visiting (we expect you to do this)
  • To study cultural aspects of the country they are visiting
  • To study a subject not available at Exeter

As a result of this, we allow a little more flexibility for students wishing to take some modules outside of their usual programme while they are away. Nevertheless, the majority of your modules should continue to reflect your main degree subject(s).

Modules 

For the time that you are abroad, you will be registered on an Exeter 'Study Abroad' module. This will be one of the following modules depending on how long you are going for and your subject area:

Module Description
SSI3999 Year Abroad This 120-credit module is for Politics, International Relations, Sociology, Philosophy or Anthropology students going abroad for a full year. 75% of the module mark is comprised of the credit-weighted average of your results from the partner university. The remaining 25% comes from your Reflective Assignments.
LAW3000 Year Abroad This 120-credit module is for Law students going abroad for a full year to Europe. The module mark is comprised of the credit-weighted average of your results from the partner university.
LAW3000B Year Abroad This 120-credit module is for Law students going abroad on the LLB with International Study programme. The module mark is comprised of the credit-weighted average of your results from the partner university.

 Fortune telling rabbit in Istanbul. Copyright Frank K.The Study Abroad co-ordinator must approve all the modules you are taking at your host university. If you do not have this approval, you may find that you do not receive any credit for these modules.

For information on how your marks are converted back to Exeter marks, see Assessment.