There are various ways you can study abroad as part of a degree within the College of Social Sciences and International Studies.

About study abroad

There are various ways you can study abroad as part of a degree within the College of Social Sciences and International Studies. Which approach you use will depend on your degree programme, and on your chosen destination. These study abroad web pages are about the International Student Exchange and Erasmus schemes but there are also other options.

International Student Exchange and Erasmus

  • Year abroad: most three-year degree programmes have a four-year equivalent in which the third year is spent studying at a university overseas. There are over 30 different partner universities available across the world. Those within Europe are part of the Erasmus scheme, which means students are eligible for a grant.
  • Semester abroad: it is possible for students on some degree programmes to spend a semester abroad in their second (or possibly third) year.

Choosing a semester or a full year 

It is possible to study abroad for either a semester or for a full academic year. Generally we would recommend the year-long option over spending simply a semester for the following reasons:

  • a year abroad enables students to see the university (and the country) for a full academic cycle
  • students are far less restricted in their module choices at their host university
  • as the year is in addition to the study at Exeter, students do not miss out on part of their course here
  • students going abroad for a full year pay lower fees for that year
  • a full year allows students to make the most of all the new opportunities and friendships they make

When can I study abroad?

The exact dates you would be abroad would vary depending on the university you choose to go to. However, if you are going for a full year, you would not usually be expected to attend anything at the University of Exeter for the duration of this academic year. Usually students would go abroad for their third year, out of a four year programme. This means that your year abroad would be in addition to your normal three year degree. If you are only going for a semester, then it will depend on your degree programme. For most subjects you would go abroad for the first semester of your second year.

Requirements to Study Abroad

The entry requirements for the four-year programmes involving a year abroad are usually the same as for the equivalent three-year programme, although some programmes may require a language qualification. However, in order to be eligible to go abroad on a programme that has 'with Study Abroad' in its title, students must achieve an average of 60 in their first year. Students who do not meet this requirement will be able to change back to the equivalent three-year degree programme.

Students wishing to study at a partner institution that does not teach in English will be required to take modules in the appropriate language as part of their course.