Postgraduate Module Descriptor
EDUM036: Secondary Education and Professional Studies
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
The principle aims of the module are to:
- enable you to gain an understanding of a range of contemporary education policies and issues, theory and practice;
- support you in reflecting critically on children’s learning and development, pedagogy and teachers’ roles and responsibilities; and
support you to meeting the Teachers’ Standards (for Qualified Teacher Status).
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. identify and evaluate educational theories and policies and to engage in critical debate about current issues, drawing on evidence from theory, policy, research and practice;|
2. understand theories of pedagogy, learning and development, and consider how these can inform professional practice;
3. demonstrate confident academic and pedagogic knowledge to teach at Secondary level;
4. demonstrate secure understanding of the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum and other policies relevant to teaching in Secondary schools
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. critically evaluate the relevance of educational theories to practice;|
6. synthesise relevant educational literature in support of an argument;
7. use appropriate technologies for data handling and writing in education;
8. present data and findings in a form appropriate for educational contexts;
9. use research data in support of an argument in education (including government reports).
|Personal and Key Skills||10. manage your own learning development and evaluation of your learning;|
11. learn effectively both independently and co-operatively, and be aware of your own learning strategies;
12. express ideas and opinions, with confidence and clarity, to a variety of audiences for a variety of purposes with rational argument based on relevant and reliable evidence;
13. work productively in different kinds of teams (formal, informal, project based, etc); and
14. think creatively about the main features of a given problem and develop strategies for its resolution.