Postgraduate Module Descriptor
EFPM837: Teaching and Researching English for Academic Purposes
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
1. Develop a critical understanding of current approaches to the teaching of English for Academic Purposes (EAP);
2. Develop a critical understanding of current key issues and debates in EAP research and scholarship;
3. Critically review the procedures of analysing needs as a stage in EAP syllabus design;
4. Increase awareness of the language and structure of EAP texts;
5. Develop an awareness of genre and corpus analysis and the role of research into language use in the design of EAP courses and materials; and
6. Develop a critical understanding of programme development and testing techniques appropriate to EAP.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. demonstrate a critical understanding of key issues in EAP research and scholarship;|
2. apply an understanding of needs analysis in the design of appropriate EAP courses;
3. demonstrate a critical understanding of key aspects of teaching and testing methodologies appropriate to EAP;
4. use techniques of genre and corpus analysis to deepen their understanding of EAP;
5. present samples of needs/language analysis for group and class discussion;
|Discipline-Specific Skills||6. demonstrate a critical understanding of the role of specific needs and learner diversity in language education;|
7. explain and justify the rationale behind the choice or design of teaching and testing materials;
|Personal and Key Skills||8. engage in independent study and group/pair work;|
9. analyse critically relevant academic literature; and
10. demonstrate an understanding of the nature of academic texts.