Postgraduate Module Descriptor
EFPM919: Critical Perspectives on Inclusive Education
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover critical questions such as the following drawn from three overarching themes:
Inclusive Education and Disability Studies
- What do we mean by Critical International Perspectives on Special and Inclusive Education?
- What are the choices and tensions associated with inclusive education?
- How is disability presented in popular culture?
- What is the role of Rights in inclusive education?
Inclusive Education and Globalisation
- Is inclusion a global concern?
- What are the barriers to learning and participation in schooling?
- What can we learn from Indigenous cultures about inclusion?
Inclusive Education and Inclusive Pedagogy
- Does the capability approach address current issues in special and inclusive education field?
- What is the impact of inclusion and exclusion in educational contexts?
- Is Inclusion incompatible with a ‘what works’ culture?
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||15||10 x 90 minute lectures|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||15||10 x 90 minute seminars|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||0.5||30 minutes tutor support for assessment|
|Guided Independent Study||68.5||Preparatory work for taught seminars (including reading; research tasks; collaborative tasks)|
|Guided Independent Study||76||Completion of formative assignment tasks|
|Guided Independent Study||125||Completion of summative assignment tasks|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
Web based and electronic resources:
Enabling Education Network: http://www.eenet.org.uk/
CSIE (Centre for Studies in Inclusive Education) http://www.csie.org.uk/