Postgraduate Module Descriptor
ERPM009: Special Educational Needs: Teaching and Learning
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
The principal aim of this module is to facilitate critical examination of a range of theory and practice related to teaching and learning of students with special educational needs and disabilities. You will critically examine conceptions of, and approaches to diagnosis, assessment and intervention, and teaching approaches for a range of specific types of special educational needs/disabilities (e.g. autism, dyslexia, learning difficulties). You will develop knowledge and understanding of approaches to teaching for diversity (e.g. curriculum models; differentiation and personalisation).
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Understand theoretical models of learning and teaching pedagogies applied to the needs of learners with special educational needs and disabilities.|
2. Describe approaches to diagnosis, assessment and intervention and teaching approaches for specific types of special educational needs/disabilities.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of how specialist and mainstream settings meet the needs of learners with special educational needs and disabilities.
4. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of approaches to teaching for diversity (e.g. intervention; differentiation; inclusive pedagogies and personalisation).
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Demonstrate an appreciation of the relationship between theory and practice;|
6. Demonstrate awareness of the problems which might exist in practice in terms of disability/difference/special educational needs/inclusion;
7. Compare and contrast different perspectives;
8. Engage with relevant sources of literature and current debates;
|Personal and Key Skills||9. Synthesise and organise ideas to present a convincing argument|
10. Engage in critical, reflective debate
11. Explore some of the ways in which theoretical ideas, empirical research findings and policy positions might be applied to educational practice
12. Manage information, collect appropriate information (relating to theory, policy and practice) from a range of sources and undertake essential study tasks under guidance