- Why choose Exeter?
- Teaching as a career
- Routes into teaching
- Primary PGCE
- Secondary PGCE
- School Direct Programme
- School-based work placements
- Order or download a prospectus
- Teacher Training Open Days
- Fees and finance
- Entry requirements
- PGCE applications 2017-18
- How to apply
- Programme specifications
- Contact us
- SEND resources
- Back to Education home
- NQT support
Find out why studying for your PGCE at the University of Exeter is a fantastic choice.
We provide research-led teacher education of the highest quality. We have high standards and will challenge you to excel, within our strong supportive structures.
We are leaders in Initial Teacher Education. Consistently graded Outstanding by OFSTED, and ranked amongst the top five university providers of initial teacher training in the Good Teacher Training Guide 2015.
High quality research-inspired teaching
Our PGCE is uniquely characterised by innovative research-led teaching informed by professional practice and academic excellence. All our tutors have real-world experience as teachers, senior managers or OFSTED inspectors. They also lead and innovate, developing the latest ideas in teacher education, leading research, writing textbooks, leading subject networks and advising government.
Best practice teaching methods
We provide unrivalled opportunities for trainees to achieve through our highly original PGCE teaching model which is praised by OFSTED and cited as an example of best practice. By learning on campus for most of the first term, you access the tools to rapidly build professional knowledge to underpin your work in school placements.
Our unique approach gives you opportunities to learn and become part of a community of trainees and teachers who are passionate about education and will support you during your course and beyond. We carry out a detailed skills audit with every trainee so we understand your particular development needs and can personalise elements of training to strengthen the skills you need to excel as a teacher.
Our commitment to you doesn't end when you graduate. We offer you the opportunity to continue with us via our Masters and CPD programmes giving you access to the networks, peer support, facilities and good practice you need to develop professionally.
This is an outstanding programme which owes its success to the mature and responsive partnership between the School of Education and schools within the region; the dedication of the tutors and teachers; the openness and intelligence of the students themselves and the carefully constructed curriculum.
External Examiner, 2010
- 6th in the UK for world leading and internationally excellent research in Education1 and influencer of national education policy
- Ranked amongst the top five university providers of initial teacher training in the Good Teacher Training Guide 2015
- Consistently recognised by Ofsted and the National College for Teaching & Leadership as an outstanding provider of Primary and Secondary initial teacher education
- Excellent graduate employment statistics, with 92 per cent of PGCE trainees who achieved QTS in the 2014-15 cohort securing a teaching post within a year of completion
- Very high student satisfaction with 96 per cent of our former trainees rating our provision of training as good or very good (NQT survey 2015)
- Partnership arrangements with over 250 schools
- Fantastic choice of PGCE programmes making Exeter one of the 10 largest PGCE providers in the UK
- A leader in the provision of phonics training and the South West Centre for the Cambridge Primary Review Network
- Home to one of the largest education libraries in the UK
…with Exeter the door is never closed. It continues to be on hand to give advice and take an active interest in the career development of its students. This makes Exeter a very special place, putting students and ultimately the pupils they will teach, first.
Richard Bridgewater, Primary Humanities
1 Research Excellence Framework 2014 based on the percentage of research categorised as 4* and 3*.