Dr Sharon Morgan
Lecturer in Education / Digital Officer (GSE)
Baring Court BC118
Baring Court, University of Exeter St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Before joining the Graduate School of Education in 2018, I spent 20 years working as a secondary English teacher (KS3-5) in schools across the South West, both in mainstream and alternative provisions. More recently I have worked as a Lecturer of Education working mainly on the MA Education Online programme, but also as a course and university visiting tutor for the secondary English PGCE programme.
My interest in improving aspects of my own teaching practice, as well as a drive to develop my understanding of language and literacy teaching and learning, led me to complete a Doctorate in Education (EdD). My broader research interests centre on the writing process and the relationship between procedural and declarative metalinguistic knowledge. I am also interested in exploring links between:
- literacy attainment and social disadvantage
- the relationship between English/literacy attainment and learner identity (including impact of classroom groupings)
- gender inequalities including the discourse of underachieving boys.
- non-traditional students writing in the HE context
Watson A, Newman R, Morgan S (2021). Metatalk and Metalinguistic knowledge: the interplay of procedural and declarative knowledge in the classroom discourse of first-language grammar teaching. Language Awareness Full text.
Myhill D.A, and Morgan, S.D. (2019). Vocational Qualifications, University Access and Widening Participation: Setting the Context in Banerjee, P.A., and Myhill, D. A., (eds.) Transitions from Vocational Qualifications to Higher Education: Examining Inequalities. Emerald Publishing Ltd.
2020-2021 UoE Education Incubator Award (£8,758) with Dr Karen Walshe and Sara Venner: ‘What practices are associated with effective online learning?’
My doctorate was awarded in 2018 (Exeter). Other qualifications include MEd Education (Exeter), PGCE
English with Drama and SEND (Exeter), BA English (Hons) (Plymouth).
Publications by category
Publications by year
sharon_morgan Details from cache as at 2021-06-17 20:27:51
- EFPM004Z3 - Understanding Learning: Global Perspectives
- EFPM004Z5 - Understanding Learning: Global Perspectives
- EFPM003Z3 - Understanding Education: Global Perspectives
- EFPM009Z3 - Reading Rights
- EFPM009Z5 - Reading Rights
- EFPM012Z5 - Writing Matters
- EDUM042 - Secondary English Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy