Mr Will Katene
Senior Lecturer in Physical Education / Subject Lead Secondary PGCE Physical Education
+44 (0) 1392 724756
Baring Court BC124
Baring Court, University of Exeter St Luke's Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
I am a Senior Lecturer in Education, Director of Physical Education (PE) and Subject Leader for Secondary PGCE PE Course in the Graduate School of Education. I have taught PE in secondary schools both in New Zealand and England and lectured on undergraduate and postgraduate education, PE and sport sciences degree courses for well over two decades.
I received the prestigious National Teaching Fellowship Award, in 2011, for excellence in teaching and learning in higher education in the UK, and selected as an official London 2012 Olympic Torchbearer in recognition of my work as an inspirational teacher and leader to young people and students in PE in secondary schools and universities in the UK. I was also a finalist for the esteemed UK New Zealander of the Year Award, in 2013, for outstanding contribution to New Zealand and New Zealanders within the UK.
My research interests are centred around learning how to teach with a particular focus on PE student teachers' subject knowledge and the role that collaborative and interdisciplinary learning plays in developing student teachers' subject knowledge. I have contributed book chapters, published peer-reviewed articles/papers and presented papers at national and international conferences on teaching and learning in PE. I have been involved in a number of research and evaluative projects working with schools and universities in the teaching and learning of primary and secondary PE. I have served on numerous national boards/committees, such as the Association for Physical Education, and undertaken multiple appointments as External Examiner, Assessor and Review Panel member for undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses in education, PE and sport sciences in the UK.
Senior Fellowship (HEA)
National Teaching Fellowship (HEA)
MPhEd Exercise Physiology, University of Otago (NZ)
BSc Physical Education with Secondary Teachers' Certificate, Brigham Young University (USA)
2001 - Present: Senior Lecturer in Education, University of Exeter (UK)
2000 - 2001: Senior Lecturer in Physical Education, Canterbury Christ Church University (UK)
1997 - 2000: Lecturer in Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Greenwich (UK)
1992 - 1997: Teacher of Physical Education, St. Edward's CE Comprehensive School, Essex (UK)
1990 - 1992: Teacher of Physical Education, Aorere College, Auckland (NZ)
1984 - 1986 Teacher of Physical Education, Church College of New Zealand (NZ)
Research group links
My research interests are centred around learning how to teach with a particular focus on physical education student teachers' subject knowledge and the role that collaborative and interdisciplinary learning plays in developing student teachers' subject knowledge.
1. Enhancing the knowledge, skills and confidence of primary teachers in order to improve the delivery of physical education in primary schools in England and Wales Study commissioned by the Premier League Charitable Fund (PLCF), to evaluate the impact of club community organisation (CCO) coaches in their work supporting teachers to develop their subject knowledge and confidence in delivering physical education lessons in primary schools. Funded by the PLCF (led by Professor Craig Williams, University of Exeter, & project managed by Will Katene, 2018-2019).
2. Including children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND) in physical education and school sport in England Study commissioned by Department for Education (DfE) and Youth Sport Trust (YST), to explore the participation, progression and competition levels of children and young people with SEND in physical education and school sport. Funded by the DfE and YST (led by Professor Anna Craft, University of Exeter, & project managed by Will Katene, 2012-2013).
3. Student teachers’ learning and professional practice in physical education initial teacher training (ITT) Investigation exploring student teacher learning in the context of professional practice. Funded by TTA (led by Professor Susan Capel, Brunel University, & project managed by Will Katene, 2004-2005).
4. Knowledge of physical education student teachers in initial teacher training (ITT) Investigation exploring how ITT physical education courses enable student teachers to integrate different knowledge bases. Funded by Teacher Training Agency (TTA) (led by Professor Susan Capel, Brunel University, & project assisted by Will Katene, 2003-2004).
Language and Education Network
Lesson Study Network
- 2004 Teacher Training Agency
Research into the identification, development and dissemination of effective practices and to develop the knowledge base in ITT
Publications by category
Publications by year
External Engagement and Impact
Advice to Government, Parliament, devolved and English regional administrations, other national, international, regional or local agencies; advice to non-government organisations and to private practice
2012 - 2018 Member of the Board of the Association for Physical Education (UK)
2012 - 2016 Member of the ITE Expert Group for Physical Education (UK)
External Examiner Positions
2016 - 2019 External Examiner, PGCE Physical Education Course, University of Ulster, Belfast
2015 - 2018 External Examiner, BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching Degree Course, University of West of England, Hartpury College
2012 - 2015 External Examiner, PGCE Physical Education Course, Leeds Metropolitan University
2011 - 2014 External Examiner, BA/BSc (Hons) Physical Education Degree Course, University of Brighton
2008 - 2012 External Examiner, PGCE Physical Education Course, University of Wales Institute, Cardiff
2006 - 2011 Chief External Examiner, Secondary PGCE Programme, University of Worcester
2001 - 2004 Chief External Examiner, Secondary PGCE Programme, University of Gloucestershire
Evidence of impact on policy and professional practice
International recognition, such as international research collaborations, visiting research posts in overseas institutions, involvement at senior levels in international research associations, acting as referee for national and international research councils.
Major awards, Prizes and Honorary degrees, including election to national and international learned societies
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
National Teaching Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Research-based contributions to practitioner and academic conferences
2012 - 2019: Conference Organiser, Annual Physical Education Initial Teacher Education Conference (for 5 years)
I currently teach on undergraduate and postgraduate education and sports science courses at Exeter: (a) BSc (Hons) Exercise and Sport Sciences Degree Course, School of Sport & Health Sciences (CLES), (b) PGCE Secondary Programme and Physical Education Course, Graduate School of Education (CSSIS) and, (c) MA (Ed) Programme, Graduate School of Education (CSSIS).
- EDUM049 - Secondary Physical Education Subject Knowledge and Pedagogy
- ESS2704 - Learning and Teaching in Physical Education