Measuring Information Exposure in Dynamic and Dependent Networks (ExpoNet)
1 January 2016 - 31 December 2018
About the research
EXPONet will produce a set of tools allowing researchers to model exposure as a network and incorporate both social and traditional media sources. Whether one is consuming the news online or producing/consuming information on social media, the fundamental dynamic of consuming public affairs news involves formation of ties between users and media content by a variety of means (e.g. browsing, social sharing, search). Online media exposure is then a process of network formation that links sources and consumers of content via their interactions, requiring a network perspective for its proper understanding.
We propose a set of scalable network-oriented tools to
- extract, analyse, and measure media content in the age of "big media data",
- model the linkages between consumers and producers of media content in complex information networks, and
- understand co-development of network structures with consumer attitudes/behaviours.
- Professor Susan Banducci, SSIS, University of Exeter (PI)
- Dr Travis Coan, SSIS, University of Exeter (Co-I)
- Dr Gabriel Katz, SSIS, University of Exeter (Co-I)
- Dr Lorien Jasny, SSIS, University of Exeter (Co-I)
- Dr Hywel Williams, CLES, University of Exeter (Co-I)
- Dr Iulia Cioroianu, SSIS, University of Exeter (Researcher)
- Professor David Lazer, Northeastern University (International Co-Investigator)