Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM025: Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
This module descriptor refers to the 2017/8 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover the following topics.
- Randomised controlled trials and their application in education
- Evaluation with observational data: matching and regression discontinuity designs
- Formative and process evaluation
- Practical examples of educational evaluation in the UK and internationally
- Critical assessment of rankings of schools and universities
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activity||22||11 x 2 hour weekly teaching sessions, combining elements of lectures, seminars and computer lab sessions|
|Guided independent study||20||Evaluation proposal preparation: conducting research and writing the proposal|
|Guided Independent Study||30||Evaluation report preparation: conducting research, analysing data and writing the report|
|Guided independent study||78||Reading assignments|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
Educational Endowment Foundation - https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/