Dr Clemence Scalbert-Yucel
Senior Lecturer in Ethnopolitics
IAIS Rm 7
Member of the Centre for Kurdish Studies at IAIS
I have studied geography at the University of Toulouse-Le Mirail, and political geography at the University of Marne-La-Vallée and Paris IV (France). I gained my PhD in Political Geography at the University of Paris IV- Sorbonne in 2005. My PhD thesis addressed the question of the development of a Kurdish field of literature in the context of language conflict in Turkey. I also graduated in Kurdish Language and Civilisation at the Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales (INALCO) in Paris in 2003. I taught geography at the INALCO from 2003 to 2007, when I joined the University of Exeter.
I am member of the editorial board of the European Journal for Turkish Studies.
My research interests include the following:
- ethnicity and the fields of cultural production
- cultural heritage, space, and identity
- Kurdish literatures
- environment, ecological mobilisation, and rurality.
I mainly conduct research in Turkey, Kurdistan.
For a list of publications please see 'Other'
For office hours and research leave go here.
Research group links
My research interests include the following: cultural heritage, space, and identity; environment and rurality ; ethnicity and the fields of cultural production; kurdish literatures
I am currently working on the following research :
• Back to the countryside: reconsidering contemporary rurality in Turkey through migration, ecology, and belonging
• Kurdish women literatures in translation, supported by an outreach and research grant by the British Institute for the study of Iraq.
I am member of the ERC Civil Wars Research Team.